Any other Python flaws?

Mattias Engdegård f91-men at nada.kth.se
Fri Jun 15 08:19:50 EDT 2001

In <9gcu9g$gm4$1 at newshost.accu.uu.nl> m.faassen at vet.uu.nl (Martijn Faassen) writes:

>I agree that nobody agrees on whatever 'call-by-reference' means, or what
>'call-by-value' means. I mean, I'm here confused why you'd say C++ doesn't
>support call-by-value while Python apparently does. :)

I didn't mean to say that C++ doesn't support call-by-value, but that it
also has call-by-reference. Sorry, bad typing.

This is the first time I have seen any disagreement of what call-by-{value,
reference, name} means since these are fairly standard terms used for
decades, but I'm not going to argue further about it

In any case this is has no bearing on any Python flaws (on the contrary, I
find its argument passing mechanism quite reasonable and better than the
explicit-dereferencing that Perl does) so it's very tangential to the
subject