Global in multiple files

Don Dwiggins dwig at advancedmp.net
Mon Jun 11 13:26:23 EDT 2001

Alex Martelli writes:
> There is a serious risk in over-designing systems "because
> one day it might be handy".  Yeah, right, but meanwhile you're
> paying the price of complexity *RIGHT NOW*!-)

> "Do the simplest thing that could possibly work", because
> "you ain't gonna need it" (where "it" is the rich, complex,
> over-engineered, over-designed very general solution:-).

> See http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?YouArentGonnaNeedIt ...

I agree.  And while you're there, check out the other Extreme Programming
principles.  To me, the thing that makes this principle "work" is its
combination with the other principles (most directly "Refactor
Mercilessly").

Also, remember that "simplest thing" doesn't mean "the first thing that
comes to mind".  It can take some serious contemplation to come up with the
simplest thing.  Einstein's advice is also useful here: "make things as
simple as possible, but no simpler".

--
Don Dwiggins                    "'Tis a gift to be simple,
Advanced MP Technology           'tis a gift to be free..."