random

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Sat Jun 2 19:34:13 EDT 2001

[David C. Ullrich]
> Hanging out on sci.math the things that people said about Chaitin's
> work made him sound like a total crackpot.

sci.math?  Wow -- I thought Congress had voted to ban it.  Wishful thinking,
I guess <wink>.

> I was relieved when I saw a little bit of his stuff once - the
> ridiculous aspects of what people had said about what he'd done were
> not due to him, they were due to people misquoting and oversimplifying
> his stuff.

Chaitan is a bit of a self-promoter, and his rhetoric is often colorful, but
by all indications his work is rock solid.   A very nice high-level intro is
this transcript of a lecture he gave at CMU:

    http://www.cs.umaine.edu/~chaitin/cmu.html