PIL speed and fear

Pete Shinners shredwheat at mediaone.net
Fri Jun 1 11:48:40 EDT 2001

"akhar" <akhar at videotron.ca> wrote
> I noticed that it tries to open
> a dos session and then shows me the image in paint. I am afraid that for
> phase two when I start using streams of images directly from the camera that
> their will be an enormous lag. Is it only because of windows? should I be
> using something else for realtime video streams like pySDL? or is it windows
> and I should use freebsd to do this?

the problem is that the Image.show() command is pretty much a hack
to make life easier. it saves the image as a temporary file, then
launches a standard image browser in a separate process.

this will not do at all for any kind of realtime system.

your best bet is to use PIL's interface to Tkinter and make your own
small gui, then i believe you can display the PIL images directly in
the gui. (saving the save, launch process, load steps)

i still don't know if that is going to be fast enough? not because
PIL or python are too slow, but because thats a lot of image data to
be analyzing and processing realtime