Help installing pygtk, libglade in Windows - please

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Wed Jun 20 22:14:46 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Miles" <fpm at u.washington.edu>

> I'm trying to install pygtk and libglade on a Win9x system.  The local
> Windows guy advises me that it is necessary to edit the Windows registry
> to install DLLs.  Is this truly the case with the DLLs associated with
> these?

No.  DLL's only need to be in the PATH or in the current directory.
However,
note that you need to install a working GTK/GDK/GLIB package BEFORE you
install
pygtk/libglade.

The easiest way is to install the GIMP for Windows (I don't have the URL
handy)
but you can just install the library packages (from the same place).

> Unfortunatley I don't have the tools to build for Windows, so
> was trying to use the binaries built for Windows; but these don't seem
> to have any installers.  I've tried editing a setup.py written for another
> program so that I could use distutils, but this hasn't worked.

Put the binaries in the Python DLLs folder (default c:\python20\dlls) or in
the c:\python20\lib directory (or c:\python21\... if you are in 2.1).

> Take pity on a Linux guy (it's _so_ much easier and simpler there)!
> I'm developing my app on Linux, but (sigh) others in my organization
> run Windows, and they have to be able to use it too...

The commonly available package for Windows doesn't contain all the features
of
the full pygtk on Linux/Unix... be prepared.

I have started (but not finished) building pygtk on Windows using MinGW32
tools.
What I have works fine, including gdk_imlib (which is missing from Bruer's
(sic)
port) but I ran into a design flaw in the gdk_imlib bindings which I simply
haven't had time to fix.