screenscraping

Carlos Ribeiro cribeiro at mail.inet.com.br
Fri Jun 1 21:39:37 EDT 2001

At 17:02 01/06/01 +0100, you wrote:
>I am prevented from using any kind of API or direct interface to real work.

I assume that you mean the API from the program you're trying to automate,
not Windows API; it's going to quite difficult to do anything useful
without calls to the basic Windows routines. There are some functions on
the Windows API that can help you to control generic apps without using DDE
or OLE:

- Use FindWindow to get the handle of the application you want to control;
- Send a message to the given window to bring it to the top;
- Control the application by means of keystrokes. I dont remember the
funcion key, but I think that it should be SendKeys or something similar.
There are examples on how to make it work in VB; you can use the same idea
from Python (I assume that pythoncom/win32 area already exposing this
function).

Carlos Ribeiro