Makefile I/O module?

Bob Drzyzgula bob at drzyzgula.org
Fri Jun 1 22:03:04 EDT 2001

Does anyone know of a module providing classes for parsing
standard makefiles, sort of like what the rfc822 module
does for mail messages?  I don't want to actually do the
make logic in Python, I just want to be able to filter
and assemble makefile fragments and templates into output
makefiles for later processing by make itself; I'm trying
to write a GUI configuration utility for a package with
tons of options.

Perhaps the work that such a module could do is just too
straightforward to bother with constructing a formal
module, but I'm just trying to avoid reinventing a
wheel. I've tried searching for something like this,
but, well, *you* put "Python makefile parser module"
or some varient thereof into google and see what you
come up with... :-) I've seen the Software Carpetry
contest stuff, and the recent thread in this list on
Python-based make tools. But I haven't found anything
simply designed for doing this dumb sort of filtering,
where I don't even really need the program to be able to
calculate dependancies...

Thanks for any hints,
--Bob Drzyzgula