New guy question

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Sun Jun 10 10:28:39 EDT 2001

On Sun, 10 Jun 2001 13:09:03 GMT, "Glen Mettler" <Glen.Mettler at home.com>
wrote in comp.lang.python in article
<PjKU6.130094$I5.33796922 at news1.rdc1.tn.home.com>:

:I forgot to ask - what is the purpose of the Python window and the Python
:Shell window?
:
:Can I NOT run a series of scripts from these windows?  Must I go to the DOS
:window to check my program?
:
:Glen

You do not have to check your scripts from the DOS prompt. You can run
them from inside of IDLE. What you should do is this:

In IDLE go to the File Menu and choose "Open..."
This should pop up a window where you can look on your computer for the
file alook.py.

When you select that file, it should open in a new window. It will show
the code for your file alook.py. In this new window (the title should
say alook.py-path/to/alook.py), go to the Edit Menu and choose "Run
Script". The output will appear in IDLE's Python Shell window.

Hope this helps,

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/

:"Glen Mettler" <Glen.Mettler at home.com> wrote in message
:news:TiyU6.127784$I5.32725119 at news1.rdc1.tn.home.com...
:> I have a small script I entered from a Python book that works when I run
:it
:> using F5.
:> However, when I go to the console and enter python alook.py, I get an
:error
:> message:
:>
:> >>> python alook.py