Has anyone used UML?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at bt.com
Mon Jun 4 13:26:08 EDT 2001

Frank Millman wrote:
> After 15 years of designing applications using the good
> old "seat of the pants" method, I have decided that,
> if I am to move forward, I need a more formal methodology.

Not a bad idea :-)

> I have recently read about UML (Unified Modelling Language), a
> standards-based method of designing and documenting any
> software project.

Actually its only a notation. You have to provide the
method yourself. Thats not a bad thing IMHO, the
notations are important, the method can vary on
every project!

> Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of UML

I use UML every day. I wrote two articles on it on
InformIT.com - you have to register but its free and
a great source of free info including entire online
books.

Search for muy name. You';ll find an article on why
UML is good in principle - and whats not so good in
practice. There is also an example of usoing UML in
a Systems Integration (ie non programming) type project.

HTH,

Alan G.