problem running program

John Machin machin_john_888 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 21 00:53:07 EDT 2001

Timothy Reaves <treaves at silverfields.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.993064592.17922.python-list at python.org>...
> Hello. I have Python 2.1 installed. I can write python scripts and they
> run. However, when I try to run glimmer or gnucash, I get errors. For
> example, glimmer gives my the following.
>
> 	Do I haev python setup incorrectly?
>
> [treaves at double treaves]$ export PTYHONHOME=/usr/lib/python2.1/

You have tarnsposition errors in 'haev' and 'PTYHONHOME'.
Assuming that what you posted was straight from the output, the latter
may well be the cause of the problem.

My understanding is that in any case PYTHONHOME is *optional* -- on
both *x and Windows, Python expects to find all those goodies in the
'lib' sub-directory of the directory where the executable program
finds itself; PYTHONHOME would only be necessary if you were (say)
testing a variant installation.

> [treaves at double treaves]$ glimmer
> Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
> Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
> Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
> 'import exceptions' failed; use -v for traceback

My understanding is that the exceptions module is built-in in 2.1, and
thus this shouldn't happen.

If spelling PYTHONHOME correctly doesn't solve your problem, you need
to dig into glimmer & gnucash --- presuming they are shell scripts ---
and maybe run python with -v as suggested by the error messages.

Are you *sure* that glimmer & friends are not running an old python?