newbie Q's Boa

myself twofingersalute at atl.mediaone.net
Sun Jun 24 16:19:11 EDT 2001

I hope this isn't OT, but I can't find an answer doing Google/Groups
searches or in limited docs- using Mandrake7.2, installed following:

Boa-0.0.5.zip
wxGTK-2.3.0-1.i386.rpm
wxGTK-devel-2.3.0-1.i386.rpm
wxGTK-gl-2.3.0-1.i386.rpm
wxPython-2.3.0-1-Py21.i386.rpm
wxPython-demo-2.3.0.tar.gz
wxPython-docs-2.3.0.tar.gz
wxPython-gl-2.3.0-1-Py21.i386.rpm

Boa seems to load from shell without error, but clicking Boa-specific  help
button I get:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Boa-0.0.5/Palette.py", line 231, in O
nHelpToolClick
    Help.showHelp(self, Help.BoaHelpFrame, '', self.toolBar)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Boa-0.0.5/Help.py", line 38, in showH
elp
    help = helpClass(parent, toolbar)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Boa-0.0.5/Help.py", line 267, in __in
it__
    'Help.ico', paletteToolbar)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Boa-0.0.5/Help.py", line 72, in __ini
t__
    self.SetDimensions(120, 75, Preferences.wxDefaultFrameSize.x,
AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'x'

I tried to trace through various Boa and wxPython modules and wxWindows
headers, but this is way over my head.

Also, and perhaps related, I'm unclear how to set the help paths for
Python and wxWindows to work within Boa. Docs say to set paths in
PrefsGTK.py in a key:value(path) format, and then run HelpScrpt.py, but I
don't know what format the "key" parts should follow in the dictionary,
and can't find any examples. I'm scattered on my installations, but here
goes:

Python2.1 docs in ~/python/docs-21-html/, wxPython docs in
~/python/wxpython-2.3.0/, Python 2.1 in /usr/lib/python2.1/, Boa and
wxPython in respective dirs in /usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages.
wxPython docs apparently include the wxWindows docs. wxWindows
is in /usr/include.

To the limited extent I've run everything, the executables are in order,
i.e. Py2.1 rather than Py1.5.2 loads, the wxPython demo runs ~95% (and
looks awesome BTW). I expect a few of the demos to fail, eg the Win
specific ones, and I think the only other ones not to run were sound and
gl- I'm trying to "fix" both :-).

any help appreciated!