Two minor syntactic proposals

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Thu Jun 21 16:55:30 EDT 2001

news:slrn9j275n.9oi.philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk...

news:<slrn9ipjok.5je.philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk>...

> >I think I prefer just an easier way to type "self."
> >How about just the dot? I.e., ".x" means "self.x"
>
> That sounds a good idea.

I like it! I don't think it will break anything.

However, since you wouldn't have to type "self." any more,
then the "self" parameter itself becomes meaningless, and can be
eliminated. This also solves the "class method" issue. If it doesn't
contain a prefixed dot, then it doesn't require an instance, so it's
clearly a class method.

It'll never fly. Think of all that code out there that would break if we
took away that first parameter... And then, there's the point that keeps
getting pounded to death in the PEP255 discussion - it's bad news to
distinguish two different animals by some detail of their internals.