Using the Python license

Thomas NoSpam at NoSpam.com
Mon Jun 18 16:43:46 EDT 2001

"Andrew Kuchling" <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote in message
news:3dsngxeq3o.fsf at ute.cnri.reston.va.us...
> "Thomas" <NoSpam at NoSpam.com> writes:
> > And, does anyone have a link to some comparative information about the
> > different licenses?  I'm interested in the main 'anything goes'
licenses:
> > Python, BSD, and the LGPL.
>
> The differences between the Python and BSD/X11 licenses stem from
> CNRI's legal counsel not believing that the BSD license is actually
> valid, for various incomprehensible and/or unconvincing reasons.  This
> is why the Python 2.0 license is a page long and the BSD license is
> three paragraphs.  You can use the Python license if you like, but why
> not just use the X11 license?  (The X11 license was also the Python
> 1.5.2 license)
>
> --amk

Because I think that Python users will feel more comfortable with the Python
license.  If they see 'X11 license' they won't know quite what it is,
whereas they are probably familiar with the idea of the Python license.

For now, I've taken the 'top' portion of the Python license (the current
part, excluding CNRI, BeOpen, and CWI), and I've replaced PSF with my name
and python with the name of my project.  I assume that it would then be
reasonable to identify this license on my web site as 'the Python license'.

Tom.