noncommercial Python+QT on Windows? (was Re: qt or gtk?)

Toby J Sargeant tjs at mail.csse.monash.edu.au
Thu Jun 28 18:44:25 EDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 05:47:03PM +0200, Alex Martelli wrote:
> Very interesting -- NOW, is there a way one can develop Python
> software, cross-platform, using Qt, and redistribute it: legally,
> for free and with sources?

You should have a look at PyQt. For some reason it's relatively unknown,
despite being (IMHO) the best and most elegant set of bindings for
developing GUI applications with python.

The Qt bindings are much more organised and featureful than I remember
tkinter being. They're also much more objectlike than gtk, and they
don't exhibit the windows legacy that the wx toolkit does, with all the
attendent problems of multiple dispatch from a single event, and needing
to make up magic numbers for internal events.

Apparently Phil Thompson is going to be making win32 binaries of the PyQt
modules available sometime soon, to save people who don't want to compile
it themselves some effort.

PyQt should also be available for mac development, given that Qt is free
for the mac as well, but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone trying
to build it there.

Toby.