Writing new codecs

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Sun Jun 17 07:47:13 EDT 2001

"Brian Quinlan" <brian at sweetapp.com> writes:

> > I think that UTF-7 would be a good candidate, since it is
> > a native Unicode encoding. UTF-32 would be another candidate.
>
> What about UTF-7, modified to be used in IMAP, as described in RFC2060
> (I could also modify it slightly for vanilla UTF-7 [RFC1642])? I ask you
> directly since you are likely going to be assigned the patch :-)

I think at the minimum, the codec must not be called "utf-7" if it
does not implement RFC 2152/1642. Unfortunately, RFC 2060 does not
give it an encoding name.

Note that the IANA registry gives "UTF-7" to the encoding described in
RFC 2152, and "UNICODE-1-1-UTF-7" to the one described in RFC 1642. It
doesn't give a name to the encoding of RFC 2060, either. So I think
your patch should use a temporary codec name, until IANA assigns an
official name to it.

Regards,
Martin