problem installing PyXML on Linux

Graham Ashton graham at coms.com
Sun Jun 24 12:26:44 EDT 2001

In article <9h4au7$2j2$1 at wanadoo.fr>, "Helka.Folch"
<Helka.Folch at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> I'm trying to install PyXML-0.0.6.5.-1 on linux (suse 7.1). When I tried
> to install the rpm, I got the following message: dependancy problem
> /usr/local/bin/python is needed by PyXML-0.0.6.5.-1 (on my system,
> python exec is /usr/bin/python2.0)

Ah, the wonders of RPM. Where did you get the python and PyXML RPMs from?
(I wouldn't be able to help, but that's where I'd start looking; if
they're built by different people then you've got a potential problem, and
quite why an RPM is dependent on something in /usr/local is beyond me).

> On the other hand, when I tried to install PyXML from the source file
> with : python setup.py  -q  install
> I got the following error message:
>
> extensions/pyexpat.c:4  Python.h No such file or directory
> extensions/pyexpat.c:5: Compile.h  No such file or directory
> extensions/pyexpat.c:6: frameobject.h  No such file or directory error :
> command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1

You need the python header files. Have you got an RPM called
python-dev-2.0...rpm, or similar?

> do you know what I've done wrong?

Python itself is quite easy to build from source. You could try that and
then everything will workly nicely (and you could get 2.1 too). You should
be able to get the dev RPM if you'd prefer though.

Hope that helps.

--
Graham