Catching Errors

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 06:07:05 EDT 2001

"Emile van Sebille" <emile at fenx.com> wrote in message
news:9g0o5i$6gp21$1 at ID-11957.news.dfncis.de...
> > That doesn't help on Windows/98 (nor on NT, I think), as would
> > seem to be suggested from the 'c:\>' prompt...:
> >
> > D:\py21>python -c "import sys;print>>sys.stderr,sys.argv" 2>oo.txt
> > ['-c', '2']
> You're right, I didn't test using win9x.  It does work on win2k, which is
on
> most of the systems I use regularly.  It also works on winnt, although I

Yes it does -- sorry, my "I think" was wrong (I was writing from
home and have no NT there to test).  The 2> stderr-redirect does
work in Windows/NT, just not in Windows/98.

> The different handling of arguments on win9x and the winnt families is
> certainly unexpected.

It's not unexpected to me -- they're really very different systems
(albeit mostly "emulating each other" somewhat decently -- but only
where deliberate effort was invested in the emulation, and MS does
not care much about text-console operations these days:-).

A Python-coded shell that fully replaces Command.COM and Cmd.EXE,
finally making /NT and /98 decently compatible for us dinosaurs
still wedded to command-line shells, is an attractive idea... but
maybe it's better to just use cygwin's bash...:-).

Alex