Teaching Pyhton on Wintel

Sheila King sheila at spamcop.net
Mon Jun 18 19:28:57 EDT 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:02:18 -0700, Chris Barker <chrishbarker at home.net>
wrote in comp.lang.python in article <3B2E887A.92DE8176 at home.net>:

:I second the notion to use PythonWin (it comes with the activestate
:distribution). I found it a lot easier to get started with than IDLE.

I just taught a two week survey of Python to high school students who
had been working with C++ all year and just did Python at the end as a
closing cap to the course.

I put both PythonWin and IDLE on the machines, and let them use
whichever they preferred.

PythonWin does handle prompts in a funny way (I prefer the command line
look, myself), and there were some other issues (I can't recall at the
moment), so sometimes it was nice to also have IDLE on the machines.
Some students preferred on or the other, so they had a choice.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/