Writing new codecs

M.-A. Lemburg mal at lemburg.com
Sun Jun 17 14:56:02 EDT 2001

Brian Quinlan wrote:

> > Please have a look at
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/python-codecs. There are a few
> > additional codecs, and none of them extends _codecs. Each of the
> > modules provides a set of codecs, not a single one.
>
> But these modules aren't part of core Python so there strategy will
> necessarily be a bit different.
>
> I've looked at this project before. Hopefully all of this code will end
> up as part of the Python CVS soon.

We are currently planning to add the BSD style licensed codecs
to the Python core CVS tree but will distribute these as
separate downloads.

> > Personally, I think on systems that offer iconv, the iconv codec
> > should be the only one you'd ever need - although the UTF-7 converter
> > is supported in gconv only starting with glibc 2.2.
>
> What is iconv?

	http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/xsh/iconv.html

It's basically a set of codecs with a common interface which
comes with the libc on many Unix platforms. Note that Martin's
Python interface for it is under GPL while iconv itself is
usually under LGPL.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH