gc issues

Lothar Scholz llothar at mailandnews.de
Fri Jun 8 11:13:07 EDT 2001

On 8 Jun 2001 06:04:23 -0700, etoffi at bigfoot.com (e toffi) wrote:

>hello
>
>lets say i wanted to integrate 2 languages with gc's (lua,
>[small]eiffel, python, javascript).
>
>how do i keep the gc's from eating each other?
>
>i know this will require some *very* careful prgramming techniques.
>can anyone point me in the right direction?

Normally it shouldn't be a big problem as long as every language does
only collect there own objects, so integrating Smalleiffel and
Ruby/Python should be no problem.  Of course this gives you
a loss in performance if both collections must can the whole heap
space twice. But Python has no GC, it has reference counting so
this is not a problem at all.

By the way : if you want to integrate python in a smalleiffel program
please let me know, because i also want to do this.