VI

Jim Hill jimhill at meldrick.swcp.com
Fri Jun 15 11:05:20 EDT 2001

In <W4iW6.9563$ki5.133404 at vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,
Damian Menscher <menscher+usenet at uiuc.edu> wrote:
>Jonathan Gardner <gardner at cardomain.com> wrote:
>> Emile van Sebille wrote:
>>> I always liked the description that vi has two modes:  one beeps at you,
>>> and the other destroys your file.  ;-)
>
>> When I was first learning vi, I found the beeps quite common. What was even
>> more mystical is the way it would mangle your text with ease.
>
>Ahh, yes.   Who hasn't accidentally bumped the caps lock key and
>then attempted to scroll down?  ;)

I do believe I may have done that a time or two in my past...then I got
an OS that lets me tell the machine "I don't care if the key has 'Caps
Lock' printed on it, it's a Control -- the way God intended it to be."
That one simple change has made me ever so much happier, especially
since I often use The Other Editor as well as vim.

>I've learned a fair bit from random banging and watching what
>happened.  One of these days I should actually read the docs and
>learn all the features....

Steve Oualline just finished a book on vim (called "vim") which is now
available from New Riders.  Since I'm an O-C wretch I'm reading it
sequentially but I find myself looking for excuses to use the new
features just because they look cool.

>--==## Grad. student & Sys. Admin. @ U. Illinois at Urbana-Champaign ##==--

<sigh>  Have lunch at Papa Del's and spare a moment for all the happy
        children of the past stranded in places like northern New Mexico.

Jim
--
jimhill at swcp.com                         http://www.swcp.com/~jimhill/

   "Let me preface my remarks by saying that I have absolutely no love
            for Barry Manilow in my heart."  --  Jason Lempka