How to get a unicode degrees symbol?

Russell E. Owen owen at astrono.junkwashington.emu
Tue Jun 5 12:15:31 EDT 2001

I'm obvious missing some important bit of documentation, but I looked
through the manuals and can't seem to figure out how to get unicode
character constants into python strongs.

For instance I'd like to create a string that contains a degree symbol
(that would show up correctly on all platforms). Right now I'm
generating a character constant whose contents are set differently
depend on the platform. It works but is rather lame.

Any documentation pointers or other suggestions would be appreciated.

-- Russell