PythonCard - was Re: Event-driven GUIs ...

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Tue Jun 19 01:14:43 EDT 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Neil Hodgson wrote:

> Ron Stephens:
> > Perhaps if someone could do a PythonCard for event driven gui programs,
> > using the Python syntax and the Hypercard container model, it would be a
> > big hit
> > ;-))))
>
>    The feature I loved in HyperCard was that persistence was built-in.

Probably PythonCard should be database-powered to provide fast
object retrieval and persistant storage.

> Actually it was better than built-in - it permeated the whole paradigm. It
> was a great environment for people who didn't see themselves as developers
> as it could be used on several different levels with scripting not being
> needed for many tasks. Many were able to build applications even though they
> did not wish to spend a lot of effort on learning or developing.
>
>    However, the market, which was given several HyperCard like products to
> choose from, has decided against this form of development environment.

The market ways are unpredictable, because decisions are made not on the
basis of technical merits but with some strange reasoning behind.

For Freeware project it is not necessary to look at what market has or
does, because if somebody will ever implement PythonCard it will be made
with self-satisfaction in mind.

This is how emulator for old computers are made and maintained:
because people have nostalgic feelings about them.

>    Neil

Sincerely yours, Roman A.Suzi
--
 - Petrozavodsk - Karelia - Russia - mailto:rnd at onego.ru -