Mutable Strings?

Eric Merritt cyberlync at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 11:17:32 EDT 2001

Guys,

  I am somewhat new to python and I have a bit of a
question  (as a side note, at work, I am a java
programmer mostly). In python, as in java, strings are
immutable objects (types in python I know). In any
case, Java has provided a StringBuffer class that is
basically a mutable string. Allowing you to append,
insert etc without creating a new object.  This saves
quite a bit of object creation when any string
processing is required.

I have been looking for similar functionality in
python and have yet to find it. I tried searching the
archives but any search for terms relating to strings
returns an enormous amount of hits. In any case, are
any of you aware of a anything in python that provides
this type of functionality? I am willing to write my
own I just don't want to reinvent the wheel.