Has anyone used UML?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Jun 4 11:09:30 EDT 2001

In article <991550033.146 at nntp01.uskonet.com>, Frank Millman wrote:

>After 15 years of designing applications using the good old "seat of the
>pants" method, I have decided that, if I am to move forward, I need a more
>formal methodology.
>
>I have recently read about UML (Unified Modelling Language), a
>standards-based method of designing and documenting any software project. It
>looks interesting, but it seems to have a steep learning curve.
>
>Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of UML that they would like to
>share?

I took a 3 day class on UML once.  My impression: yet another
"silver bullet" that doesn't work in real life.  I do have
friends who've worked on projects that used UML, and they
thought it was marginally useful, but like any other form of
documentation, if it's not maintained (and it never is, AFAICT)
it becomes worse than useless.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Wait... is this a FUN
                                  at               THING or the END of LIFE in