the definition of "strong" (was Re: Why isn't Python king of the hill?)

Steven Haryanto steven at haryan.to
Thu Jun 7 04:34:39 EDT 2001

Sorry for bringing back an oldish post, but how does one define
"strong typing" and "weak typing" vs "static typing" and "dynamic
typing"? I've always thought that Python has _strong_ typing,
but it is not static. So it is unlike Perl which has weak and
dynamic typing (although under -w Perl will issue warnings if
you try to mix string and numeric in expressions).

I would say _static_ typing is the one that will make me sleep
better, because once I tell the compiler that my foo variable is
an int, it will stay an int through the course of execution.

Steve
http://stevne.haryan.to/