PEP 259: Omit printing newline after newline

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Jun 11 21:56:05 EDT 2001

Gustaf Liljegren wrote:

> I like consistency, so I think either 'print' should add a newline, or
> it
> shouldn't. Whatever you choose, it shouldn't do things "behind the
> scenes".
> If it depends on the line before, it won't be so self-explanatory if
> you
> see a 'print' statement with no arguments.

I agree.  Consistency is what counts here, and what's more, there is a
precedent -- namely all the Python interpreters out there already in the
world.  Changing this will break existing code which was relying on
well-defined behavior (how much of course is another question), and will
introduce a special case consistency.

/  \ Triumph cannot help being cruel.
\__/ Jose Ortega y Gasset
    7 sisters productions / http://www.7sisters.com/