idle BUG

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Fri Jun 15 16:20:04 EDT 2001

[Robin Becker]
> I don't believe that blaming the other guy (Tcl) is the right way to go.

In this particular case, people have spent countless hours examining the
Python side of things without finding a problem:  wagging fingers at Tcl
wasn't a presumption, it was a conclusion.

> I too can make Tk Apps go wrong, but in every case that this happened I
> eventually traced the problem to a programming error in my tcl coding.
> This is especially true in later Tcl's as they've found and fixed some
> of the earlier problems and also introduced multithreading. There were
> also some problems caused by win32 Tk apps interfering with each other
> because of Tk's attempts at determining all existing Tk apps (to allow
> the send command to work), but I think that is disabled in 8.3.
>
> I run complex Tcl code every day on the same box and it never locks up.

Fredrick reproduced the problem with a simple Python-free Tcl app.

> The reason for wanting to run Tkinter apps from a dos/cmd box is to see
> the print outputs for debugging etc.

Of course.  But for now that doesn't work reliably on Win9x, and there's
nothing new to be said about that.  Instead of complaining with increasing
bitterness, why don't you *help* debug it?  I pointed you to the bug report:
add something useful to it, or continue to wait for a miracle.  You're just
"blaming the other guy" too, but by presumption.