Compile times?

Paulo Jan paulo at mail.ddnet.es
Fri Jun 1 17:37:51 EDT 2001

Hi all:

	I'm trying to compile Python 2.1 on a small Unix machine that
I've set up at home to mess with it, learn, etc.. The machine in
question is a Macintosh Quadra 610 (Motorola 68040 CPU), running
OpenBSD 2.8 (I didn't install the Python port that came with it
because it was 1.6), and the problem that I'm having is that, at a
certain point, when it starts compiling the extensions, it just hangs
there forever. The process is:

	1) I type "./configure" and then  "make".
	2) The main Python binaries seem to compile correctly.
	3) It starts to execute the "setup.py" script, gcc starts
compiling the first extension (the regex one)... and it stays there
for 4 or 5 hours, until I finally lose patience and kill it. The
computer is not idle, because the load average increases, and I can
see in "ps -auxw" several instances of "python" running.

	I am aware that my CPU is not the fastest in the world, but 4
or 5 hours for just one extension is ridiculous; it compiled the rest
in just a couple of hours!!! Can anybody tell me if these compile
times (assuming my slow CPU) are normal? Am I missing any library or
something? How long does it take to compile for everybody else?

				Paulo.