Use Jython to make true executable?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sun Jun 10 10:17:59 EDT 2001

carlf at panix.com (Carl Fink) writes:

> In article <f20ea932.0106100439.208f8bd6 at posting.google.com>, Tomasz
> Stochmal wrote:
>
> > for Windows just use py2exe http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/py2exe/
>
> I actually knew that, but as I understand it py2exe just glues a
> Python interpreter to your script.  I was hoping that gcc/Jython
> would create a non-interpreted version.  That is, you could avoid
> the processing overhead of interperting a script, and thus get a
> much faster program.

This is very unlikely to speed things up as much as you expect.  I've
never produced accurate numbers, but I'm fairly sure Python's runtime
is dominated by locating applicable methods, not the dispatch loop in
ceval.c.  If you could analyse a program sufficently to compute (some
of) these methods at compile time, *then* you might start to see a
real speed up (especially if this let you unbox some integers &
floats).

Of course, this is intuition about performance, so probably wrong.
Buyer beware.

Cheers,
M.

--
  The Oxford Bottled Beer Database heartily disapproves of the
  excessive consumption of alcohol.  No, really.