Which IDE ?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at bt.com
Wed Jun 20 07:58:32 EDT 2001

D-Man wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 05:57:00PM +0100, phil hunt wrote:
> | I think professional programmers often prefer simple tools (i.e.
> | text editor and command line).
>
> Sounds like a reasonable guess to me (at least wrt Unix programmers, I
> think more MS Windows programmers use Visual Studio and other similar
> tools).

Yeah, thats one of the big culture differences between the
two groups. When we get a "Windoze guy" on contract who is
freaked by the *nix approach I usually explain it by says
that the OS *is* the IDE. Its just because Windows doesn't
provide the basic tools built ij that you have to use an IDE
to make up the difference. Stop thinking of the Unix tools
as separate programs and see the whole system as a big
textual based IDE and it starts to make sense.

Alan G