Why should i use python if i can use java

D-Man dsh8290 at rit.edu
Thu Jun 7 18:21:40 EDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 10:02:58PM +0200, Alex Martelli wrote:
| "D-Man" <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote in message
| news:mailman.991931005.1422.python-list at python.org...
| > On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 11:19:50AM +0200, Alex Martelli wrote:
| >
| > Ditto to all the Dynamic, but still strong, typing and the Design
| > Patterns discussion explaning why Java is _still_ a very low level
| > language even though it is bytecode-compiled and interpreted.
|
| Well, not VERY low...!-).  Just lower than Python...

Sometimes (far too often, especially when writing unit tests) Java
feels very low level.

| Python.
| > |
| > | Absolutely!  But does any commercial IDE, as you earlier
| > | referenced, support Jython yet?  I don't know of any.
| >
| > Not commercial, but (g)vim supports this!  <smirking grin>  Version
|
| GVIM rules (5.8's what I'm using now), but I doubt even 6.0 provides
| me with a Jython debugger &c...?-)

No, not yet.  The debugger should provide a way (hook) to jump to the
source in an editor, using an existing editor process if it is already
running.

| > 6.0 is nearly finished and has some really cool new features including
| > "folding" (the ability to collapse a block of text into a single line
| > on the display).
|
| Cool indeed (I'm sure the EMACSers are laughing at us of course:-).

One of my coworkers who uses emacs said "Emacs has had that for 10
years!" :-).  The funny thing is vim has hardly been around that long.

-D