Sybase module 0.27 released

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Jun 26 09:35:04 EDT 2001

"Pieter Claerhout" <Pieter_Claerhout at CreoScitex.com> wrote ...
> Does anyone know if this will work for MS SQL Server as well? It's a
rip-off
> of Sybase anyway, as far as I remember.
>
> Pieter

couldn't do so, however, as I would have had to recompile the package for my
Linux SPARC system, and I didn't have the required Sybase header files.
Also, I don't *think* this module is (yet) ported to Windows, so you might
also require a Unix driver manager to use MS SQL Server (since, strangely,
the MS product doesn't seem to have been ported to Unix).

I'm not sure the term "rip-off" is fair: Microsoft and Sybase decided to go
their separate ways, is all. Just like IBM and Microsoft. Nobody could call
Windows a rip-off of OS/2, now could they? In truth both companies have done
different things with the codebase they started with. I happen to believe
that Sybase's directions are more sensible, but the marketplace clearly
doesn't agree. Nothing new there, then :-)

regards
 Steve
--
http://www.holdenweb.com/