Comment on PEP-0238

Robert J. Harrison rjh at 3-cities.com
Thu Jun 28 22:10:09 EDT 2001

>From recent discussion it is not clear to me if
PeP 0238 (http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0238.html)
has gained favor, or not.

Two comments.  First, its major emphasis is on benefitting
inexperienced programmers, but, by being inconsistent with
other mainstream languages, it is not clear to me that it
is actually a benefit for them.  It is certainly not a
benefit for experiencd programmers that routinely
switch between Python and other languages.  Second, even
if the change of behavior for divide (/) is accepted, I
see no point in introducing the // operator.  A plethora
of infrequently used operators will make Python more
Perl-like.  Better an explicit 'cast' to integer.

--
Robert J. Harrison (rjh at 3-cities.com)