WHY is python slow?

Garry Steedman gs at styrax.com
Thu Jun 7 12:03:54 EDT 2001

if you go to:

http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/craps.shtml

and change the weightings to 0 for CPU and memory usage respectively
(CPUs and memory are way cheaper than programmers after all!), and 10
for lines of code, ruby and python are the clear winners.

now, if we accept the postulate that premature programme optimisation
is an evil and that python has been around much longer than ruby, has
much better documentation and that in Bruce Eckel's words:

"...I usually find that this question [Do you have any opinions about
the Ruby language, especially compared to Python?]is asked by someone
who is considering learning to program, and was snagged by the fact
that Ruby is new, and perhaps thinks that it's going to be the next
great thing like Java. From everything I can see, it's not. For some
reason, the creator of the language saw Python and decided to do a
clone, and people who had never used Python thought it was a good
idea. Harsh, maybe, but that's my impression: if you've used Python
at all, you wouldn't give Ruby a second glance. "
<http://www.mindview.net/Etc/notes.html>

then python is the clear winner!

so there.

cheers,