the center of the world (was Re: Check out O'Reilly's Open Source Convention Highlights)

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Fri Jun 29 18:53:33 EDT 2001

Alex Martelli <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
[snipped]
> Of course, there are enough degrees of freedom in the outlined
> procedure that it can probably be used for my real purpose, i.e.,
> proving that the relevant "center of the world" is within easy
> walking distance from my home and thereby convincing the PS^H^H
> O'Reilly to hold their next conference somewhere that's highly
> convenient for me...

In fact even a petition with signatures from half (random estimate) the
attendees at IPC8 *including* the PythonLabs team to hold IPC9 in
Amsterdam is apparently not convincing to the organizers, as
obviously there wouldn't be enough interest in such a conference
in Europe. Talk about a self fulfilling prophecy. :)

The PSU must want this kind of gathering in the US. Perhaps they're
hoping the gathered attendees will quickly implement the
AsteroidImpactError exception before they lob an asteroid at
the place, and they feel the US is more expendable than Europe. :)

Regards,

Martijn