writing gnumeric functions in python

Jon K Hellan hellan at acm.org
Wed Jun 6 15:39:42 EDT 2001

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

> I'm using Gnumeric 0.64 as delivered with Mandrake 8.0.  I'm trying to
> figure out what you can do in Python to program the Gnumeric spreadsheet.  I
> couldn't find anything in the Gnumeric manual.  I have a few questions and
> was hoping someone here could steer me in the right direction.

I'll refrain from giving detailed howto advice here, partly because
the scripting support in Gnumeric is experimental and may change
without notice, partly because it's been over a year since I touched
that part of the code.

However, there is documentation about writing spreadsheet functions in
Python in the file doc/python-gnumeric.txt in the source tarball. You
can view it on line at
http://cvs.gnome.org/lxr/source/gnumeric/doc/python-gnumeric.txt

There is also a python plugin loader which lets you write new plugins
in Python. Apart from the source, there is no documentation for this.

We would be very happy to receive input about improving the Python
plugins, and about how to do scripting in general. Firming up the
scripting API is one of the things we'll turn to after the 1.0 release
is out the door.

Regards

Jon Kåre Hellan