Re. PythonCard - was Re: Event-driven GUIs ...

Spicklemire, Jerry Jerry.Spicklemire at IFLYATA.COM
Tue Jun 19 14:22:06 EDT 2001

Hi Roman, Neil, et. al.,

Neil suggested:

"However, the market, which was given several HyperCard like products to
choose from, has decided against this form of development environment."

to which Roman replied:

"The market ways are unpredictable, because decisions are made not on the
basis of technical merits but with some strange reasoning behind."

Just my $.02 about "the market" where Open Source and FREE software
is concerned. There is actually something of a parallel universe
phenomenon at work, an inevitable side effect of the Web and it's
predecessors. Python is a great example of a tool that is virtually
invisible to "the market", but which has been thriving nonetheless.
Think Linux, prior to about 1997.

As many Java and C++ refugees frequenting these lists can attest,
"the market" no longer has the last word. We're witnessing the
birth of a "paramarket". Python has risen on its merit entirely
independent of "conventional wisdom", "market forces", "public
relations", "strategic imperative", and other counterproductive
distractions.

So, as for Python Card- Go For It! If HyperCard faded due to
"extenuating circumstances", perhaps a comeback is in order.

Later,
Jerry S.