PEP scepticism

Michael Manti mmanti at home.com
Sat Jun 30 20:56:41 EDT 2001

On Saturday 30 June 2001 07:13, you wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2001 01:09:03 GMT, Rainer Deyke <root at rainerdeyke.com> wrote:
> >"phil hunt" <philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> >news:slrn9jq3rc.qg9.philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk...

> >> This is truly bad, because it makes it harder to add new lines;
> >> you have to type "# " repeatedly when adding new comment text, which
> >> breaks the flow of thought -- at least it dores for me.
> >
> >Strange.  In C++, I always use '//' for multiline comments in favor of
> >'/**/'.  ('//' in C++ is equivalent to '#' in Python.)  This makes the
> >comment more readable IMO.  Why not just type the comment text first, and
> >add '#' marks later?
>
> That's what I do. I still find it an irritating hassle.
>
> I appreciate your point that beginning all comment lines with //
> makes for visibility. When I have long multi-line comment, I
> usually enclose them like this:

> Start of long comment
>

> end of long comment
>
> Which I find nice and visible.

Which editor or IDE do you use that makes commenting such an "irritating
hassle"? I think just about every programming mode in Emacs has a convenient
function and keybinding for commenting--the modes for Python and C/C++
included--and I'd be genuinely surprised if other editors and IDEs didn't
have the same.