function attributes (ANN: Introducing PLY-1.0 (Python Lex-Yacc))

David Beazley beazley at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 20 10:02:58 EDT 2001

M.-A. Lemburg writes:

 > > A fine idea, but the implementation is completely useless because
 > > there is no syntactically convenient way to attach the
 > > attributes.
 >
 > Ah... so that's what you're after: convenience !
 > That, of course, is true.

Yep.

 > So the conclusion should be: how can we make function attribute
 > assignment more convienent and not why not to use them :-)

I'd definitely consider using them if they were syntactically
convenient to use. However, I'm mostly at a loss as to how you
would actually go about doing that. I suppose you could
have something like this:

   def p_expr_plus(t):
       .gram = 'expr : expr PLUS expr'

However, I'm not sure how the community would react such syntax.

Cheers,

Dave