qt or gtk?

Elf Sternberg elf at halcyon.com
Sun Jun 17 01:46:52 EDT 2001

In article <9ggof8$gmd$1 at brokaw.wa.com>
    Jonathan Gardner <gardner at cardomain.com> writes:

>Courageous wrote:
>> Do recall that Qt is only *half* free. It is free for Linux development,
>> but costs an arm and a leg on Windows.

>Now I feel stupid. I thought Qt was free to use if your software is
>free, but costs money if you plan to sell it.

        Qt is distributed under the GNU Public License and TrollTech's
Commercial License.  What this means is that if you write a program
using Qt, you have two choices: you can distribute your program in the
whole, source code and all, or your can pay TrollTech's licensing
contract and keep your source code secret.

        Note that this does not mean you cannot sell your GPL version of
your Qt program.  Sure you can.  It does mean that if you do so, you
also give whoever receives your program the right to modify, sell, or
otherwise distribute it under the same terms as you yourself.

                Elf

--
Elf M. Sternberg, rational romantic mystical cynical idealist
http://www.halcyon.com/elf/

Dvorak Keyboards: Frgp ucpoy ncb. ru e.u.bo.v