Any other Python flaws?

Paul Prescod paulp at ActiveState.com
Fri Jun 15 17:42:03 EDT 2001

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> It's hard to see how you could implement cancellable threads with
> reasonable performance, though, unless the OS implements all the
> primitives and can therefore clean things up when a thread is
> cancelled.  I lean more and more toward thinking that threads are a
> mistake, and if you think you need them, your OS simply has processes
> that are too heavyweight.

There are many graphical applications that use threads to keep the user
interface responsive while doing heavy computation or network IO in the
background. Let's say we spin those out into processes. What would you
propose for sharing data structures? COM?

If we make processes lightweight, and we devise mechanisms for sharing
structured data between them, we are basically reinventing threads so
why not use threads in the first place?

--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.