Python 2.0.1c1 - GPL-compatible release candidate

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at home.com
Fri Jun 15 01:35:13 EDT 2001

To clarify (because I seem to be confused):

This is a GPL-compatible release, not a GPL release.  That is, you could
include a copy of python with your GPL program, but Python itself is not
GPL-d because it can be acquired without agreeing to the GPL (from Guido).
So unless, for some reason, you need to use a modified version of the
"xxobject.c and xxmodule.c" files, which are only available from a GPL-d
derived work, your python extension would not be GPL tainted, as you could
use the less restrictive python license for those files.  You should be able
to distribute your extension under whatever license you like.

When building GPL applications, however, you would have to consider the
license of the whole work. To distribute a GPL application (using python
extensions) as GPL-ware, you would need to make sure all the extensions are
GPL-compatible (i.e. that you can provide the source with the
restrictions/permissions required by the GPL).  From what I understand, you
need either to have been merely be aggregated with the system, or be able to
produce source etc. without further restrictions than those seen in GPL
works.

Forcing all extensions to be GPL-compatible is not something I think Guido
(or anyone) is really looking to impose on extension writers.

Enjoy,
Mike