Event-driven GUIs, PythonWorks, Boa, wxWindows; future directions of event-driven Python?

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Mon Jun 18 09:37:04 EDT 2001

On 18 Jun 2001, Bernhard Reiter wrote:

>In article <3B2B60AD.942719AE at earthlink.net>,
>	Ron Stephens <rdsteph at earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> I have not been successful heretonow in gui or event driven programming
>
>Event driven GUI programming is not really easy and the tools
>available are complicated.

I still remember HyperCard with warm feelings.  It had very comfortable
look&feel both from developer's and user's perspective. Every object had
it's own script, which contained event handlers. Events were forwarded
automatically from contained objects to containers and if not handled,
Hypercard was the last who intercepted them. (Much like exceptions).

Very nice scheme, which allowed to concentrate on the GUI and application
logic, and not on the message propagation details.

What I wanted to say, is that GUI programming is really easy when tools
are like HyperCard: conceptually simple and powerful. Because all that
complication comes from not hiding unnecessary details. Tk is like
Assembly of GUI, while higher level is needed.

After HyperCard (and SuperCard, HyperStudio to some extent) I have not
seen anything near the quality and simplicity, unfortunately... Well,
probably Squeak (sp?) is near, but it is thing in itself.

Sy, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Monday, June 18, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/