New statement proposal for Python

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.nospamnet
Sat Jun 16 15:42:57 EDT 2001

[This followup was posted to comp.lang.python and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

<much tedious and boorish diatribe elided>

In article <9gf434089d at enews1.newsguy.com>, aleaxit at yahoo.com says...
> "Novum Regimen Britanniae

Dream On.

> But note that channeling
> Guido is NOT my specialty -- gotta ask the timbot for that.

No, it's pretty clear what your speciality is...

> > (As for "yield" - whatever
> > does a generator need yield for? My understanding of generators is that
> > they produce a new value based on retained state, not actually generate a
> > huge sequence - oops, there I go digressing again.)
>
> Yes, and?  Every yield "suspends" or "freezes" the state, ready for
> the _next_ "new value" when it will be requested.

Why would you need to yield something that gets called upon to produce
the next value in a sequence and then is dormant until the next time it's
called upon?

Most people I know who are programmers associate "yield" with something
that one does in order to relinquish execution to another process or
thread.

> I said "years", not "decades".  Python's inception dates back to 1990,
> after all.

I said neither "years" or "decades" - BTW, 1990 - 2000 is a decade last
time I checked: has the OED a different definition?

> And if you want to go into flames and ad hominem attacks,
> dear fellow, I think you've met your match.

Oh goodness no! If you want the title of "Best Flamer", you're quite
welcome to it! You seem to do it so well too! (Are you by any chance
Quentin Crisp's sister?)

> > > Alex

When a brisk (actually pretty enjoyable - not often I get to have an
exchange with someone who appears to have something interesting to say
and also says it in an interesting way), somewhat snippy (on both sides)
discussion suddenly turns into preemptive projectile diarrhea of the
mouth, one has to wonder if there was any real substance behind the
dialog in the first place.

Thank goodness I didn't mention the "p" word!

Dave