the center of the world (was Re: Check out O'Reilly's Open Source Convention Highlights)

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Jun 29 09:21:54 EDT 2001

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote ...
> "Grant Griffin" <not.this at seebelow.org> wrote in ...
> > Hey, who said anything about "world"?...
>
> Kernighan and Ritchie did (they were greeting it, I believe).
>

> > But now that you mention it, the US Midwest *is* pretty centrally
> > located on a "world" basis.
> >
> > as-much-as-anything-else-on-this-sphere-<wink>-ly y'rs,
>
> An interesting exercise might be to define a *meaningful*
> "central location" -- one based on population distribution
> (or other geographical distributions of interest).

Personally I'd like a routine to determine the "Pythonicity quotient" of any
given location. Python users would all carry around transponder chips with
GPS receivers (no point making this a static computation), and each would be
allocated a score based on the value of their contributions to
comp.lang.python (we can let Guido determine these, since he has little else
to do :-).

We could then drive a display which showed us when we were in areas of high
Pythonicity. And avod or seek them according to our preference.

> After all, since tunas are unlikely to attend a conference
> on technical computer issues (given that you can tune a
> filesystem, but you can't tuna fish), "weighting" the vast
> aquaceous parts of the (approximate) "sphere" equally to
> the populated landmass may be a fine exercise in geometry,
> but doesn't make much sense otherwise.  As soon as you want
> to move from pure geometry to some kind of geography, I
> think some demographic issues must arise.  Even without
> considering demographics, at least some account could be
> taken of land vs ocean and maybe of land with/without
> permanent ice covering.

But, of course, you must take Pythonicity into account. Or are you, at a
first approximation, assuming equal distribution of Python users throughout
the population, and giving each a score of one? Not like you to be so crude
in your computational models...

> Some data, ordered by-country, can easily be found for free
> on the web, http://www.worldbank.org/data/wdi2001/worldview.htm
> for example.  Latitudes and longitudes of cities in various
> countries are also easily available, e.g. at
> http://www.realestate3d.com/gps/world-latlong.htm.  We can
> get a first approximation for a distribution of world human
> population by assuming a country's population is divided
> equally among its major cities.  This will require some work
> and supervision because of varying formats etc in the files
> being used -- or is there somewhere on the net that already
> gives me in a single readable file a lot of data boiled down
> to triples (population, latitude, longitude)?  Anyway, once
> I do have such a file, I can presumably find the "center of
> the world" (approximate) -- the one point on the Earth's surface
> that minimizes population-weighted sum of great-circle distances
> to 'population centers'.  Of course I could get different
> centers by choosing different weighing factors (country GNP
> rather than country population, for example).
>
> Hmmm, if the coordinates were on a plane, finding the weighed
> center would be trivial, but offhand I can't think of how to
> do it on a sphere's surface -- I guess there must be some way
> more suitable than just solving a generalized extremization
> problem -- can anybody suggest one...?
>
> Of course, there are enough degrees of freedom in the outlined
> procedure that it can probably be used for my real purpose, i.e.,
> proving that the relevant "center of the world" is within easy
> walking distance from my home and thereby convincing the PS^H^H
> O'Reilly to hold their next conference somewhere that's highly
> convenient for me...

You might have guessed that the only reason I live in Fairfax, VA is its
high Pythonicity quotient. Even scorint all Python users as one!

keeps-the-pythonlabs-crew-looking-over-their-shoulders-ly y'rs  - steve