[digression] Re: DOS Extenders (was: RS232 support for DOS on 486?)

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.fep.ru
Sat Jun 9 04:03:49 EDT 2001

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Paul Prescod wrote:
> Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> >    The best known DOS Extender was PharLap, but it had the problem that it
> > didn't support DPMI. Without support of proper standard it failed.
> >    The second best known was DOS/4G, created by Rational Systems. I asked
> > Google where it is now - and hurray! - it is now at http://www.tenberry.com/.
> > Its primary compiler was Watcom C: http://www.tenberry.com/dos4gw/.    ^
> I worked at Watcom at the time and we thought of DOS/4GW as the DOS      |
> extender we licensed rather than our compiler as their "primary          |
> compiler". <wink>                                                        |

   :)))                                                                    |

> Remember that the compiler had to be a 32-bit compiler so you didn't     |
> really have a lot of choices.                                            |

   Hmm... At that ancient era I used Borland Pascal, and Borland created   |
286-compatible DOS Extender. A bit later they created 386-only DOS Extender|
for C/C++, but I never wrote in C - after Pascal for DOS I switched to     |
Python on UNIX.                                                            |

> It is also worth pointing out (though I'm sure you already know) that    |
> Rational Systems is unrelated to today's Rational -- the UML etc. guys.  |
                                                                     v     |
                                                                     |     |
                                                                     \_____/
Oleg.