PEP scepticism

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Fri Jun 29 15:56:21 EDT 2001

[Tim]
> So what do you do about the curious disconnect between supply
> and demand in Open Source projects?

[Andrew Kuchling]
> Beats me.  This is nothing new, in that interesting tasks get worked
> on, and boring ones don't.

It's too glib:  the canonical example is CPAN, and is there some reason CPAN
is *not* "boring" in the Perl world but is in the Python world?  Doubt it.
People have different interests, and Python just doesn't seem to attract
those with really boring interests <wink>.

> I haven't updated the bookstore in a while, or tried to kick the
> catalog-sig into life, or released various bits of software sitting
> on my disk, because such tasks would be pretty boring, and I have
> more entertaining possibilities open to me.

The real question is why someone else hasn't popped up to do these things.
This isn't a question about you (or me, or any of the rest of the usual
masochists), it's about why Python hasn't attracted hundreds of Andrews.

> Greg Ward moved back to Montreal, and now does practically no hacking
> or writing in his spare time at all.

Well, of course -- there's also an automatic IQ shift of 50 points whenever
crossing the US-Canadian border <wink>.

although-i-won't-say-in-which-direction-ly y'rs  - tim