Why should i use python if i can use java

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 17:56:52 EDT 2001

"D-Man" <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote in message
> On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 08:52:34PM +0200, mik wrote:
> | i' m a python newbie but I've this prob. i have seen Jython ..
> |
> | what has python dat java does not?????????
>
> Modules.  Function objects.  _Completely_ OO (int, boolean, modules,
> classes, and functions are all objects, not just class instances).
> Easier syntax.  High level of design in the language and runtime
> libraries.  No casting when using containers.  Edit-run as opposed to
> edit-compile-run cycle.

And higher productivity.  I thought I had posted a huge treatise
on that just a few hours ago to a heavily crossposted thread
with a funny subject about 3D, but it doesn't seem to have
shown up, I'll have to look into that... it mentioned Prechelt's
empirical study, quoted Eckel extensively, etc, etc.

> In short, Python has a _lot_ that Java doesn't have.  Jython is an
> implementation of Python written in Java so that it runs in a JVM and
> provides nice integration between Python and Java similar to what
> CPython does for C and Python.

Far better!  Jython's total integration with Java's libraries is
astonishing.  You don't need to 'wrap' anything, like you do
in CPython with a typical C library... just USE it -- any Java
library is right there, ready for your Jython use.  I can't get
over the detail of how SMOOTHLY it works...!-)

Caveat: it takes an *up-to-date* JVM, so, just like anything
else added to Java after 1.0, it's *NO* good for applets that
must run on any comer's browsers (most browser out there
use VERY old and/or quirky JVMs and you can't expect a
site's visitors to download many megabytes of plugin from
javasoft's site just to be able to enjoy your site:-).

Alex