KDE and Windows

Boudewijn Rempt boudewijn at tryllian.com
Thu Jun 28 04:20:17 EDT 2001

Patrick Wray wrote:

> "D-Man" <dsh8290 at rit.edu> wrote in message
>
>> [...] However Qt is not free for Windows (as-is).
>
> There is now a "free beer" version of Qt for Windows (released yesterday).
> Unlike it's X11 cousin, it's binary only, and not GLP'd.
>
> As I understand it, their licensing policy gives you these choices:
>
> If you want to write open-source software for Windows, you can use the BSD
> or Artistic License, or something similar. You can't use the GPL because
> that would require you to distribute the Qt source. (If you want to go
> GPL, just use the X11 version).
>
> If you want to write closed-source freeware for Windows, you don't need to
> buy a license.

I think you need to release source to your app, too, if you use the
non-commercial license for Qt.

> If you want to write commercial software for Windows, either for sale or
> for in-house use in a commercial setting, you obviously need to buy a
> commercial license.
>
> Perhaps someone who IAL can clarify how this affects PyQT.

I'm not a lawyer, but I can't resist answering this question a bit.

Phil plans releasing a free binary version of PyQt for Windows very soon,
in addition to the existing free source version of PyQt.  However, this
will have to have the same license as the gratis version of Qt for Windows.
This means that if you want to use what you develop in the course of your
work, or sell it, you will still have to buy a copy of BlackAdder
professional.

The source for PyQt and sip is really Free, of course. And there's work
going on with recreating PyKDE for KDE2, too.

On a side note: on Linux Today Matthias Ettrich indicated that there
will also be a gratis version of Qt for OS X. This means that a version
of PyQt for OS X will be within reach, this autumn.

--
Boudewijn | http://www.valdyas.org